When considering the use of essential oils why should you seek the advice of a formally trained Registered Aromatherapist over the advice of an essential oil distributor/vendor or friend? The simple answer is for your safety!
Many people use essential oils to help maintain their health, but how many of those individuals have the understanding and formal training to use essential oils safely and to their full potential? A Registered Aromatherapist (RA) is an individual who fully understands, knows, and appreciates the power of essential oils.
A Registered Aromatherapist has dedicated him/herself to the study of essential oils and how those precious substances benefit the physical, emotional, and spiritual health of others. A RA has also spent a large portion of his life being formally educated and trained in all areas associated with what we call aromatherapy. Additionally, a RA commits to continuing her education throughout her lifetime. Registration in aromatherapy is highly valued and provides formal recognition that an individual has achieved a high level of knowledge in the field.
In order to become a Registered Aromatherapist certain standards must be met. The Aromatherapy Registration Counsel (ARC) outlines in great detail what those standards are and provides an examination to determine if an individual has met those standards.
To qualify for the ARC examination certain requirements must be met. A candidate must first be able to prove that he has completed 50 hours of training in Level I Aromatherapy courses and an additional 200 hours of Level II Aromatherapy coursework from a school accredited by the National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy (NAHA) or the Alliance of International Aromatherapist (AIA). A candidate may also take the ARC exam if she can provide evidence (transcripts/syllabi) she has mastered equivalent training to Level I and Level II education as determined by ARC.
The exam tests candidates on their proficiency in the following areas:
- Basics of Aromatherapy:
- History of aromatherapy
- Essential oil profiles
- Client assessment
- Current condition
- Client history
- Medication history
- Life style
- Client conditions (allergies, medications, age, sex, etc.)
- Specific oils (knowing the properties of each essential oil, toxicity, etc.)
- Scientific Principles:
- Extraction methods
- Anatomy & Physiology –knowledge of ALL systems of the human body.
- Pharmacologic actions
- Materia Medica
- Delivery methods
- Professional Issues:
- Quality Control
- Compliance to Local, State, Federal Regulations
These are just the core standards each Registered Aromatherapist must know.
What are the purposes of Registration?
- Recognizing formally those individuals who meet the eligibility requirements of the Aromatherapy Registration Council and pass the ARC Registration Examination in Aromatherapy.
- Encouraging continued personal and professional growth in the practice of aromatherapy.
- Establishing a Code of Ethics for Aromatherapists.
- Establishing and measuring the level of knowledge required for registration in aromatherapy.
- Providing a standard of knowledge requisite for registration; thereby assisting the employer, public, and members of other professions in the assessment of the Aromatherapist.
- To promote delivery of safe and effective practices of Aromatherapy.
Once a person has successfully passed the Aromatherapy Registration Council examination he cannot just sit on his laurels. Ongoing education is a requirement of maintaining registration. Each Registered Aromatherapist must further her education and knowledge base by completing 100 continuing education hours every five years. The learning never ends.
I am very proud to be a Registered Aromatherapist. I worked hard to obtain my education and training in the field of aromatherapy. I continue to grow and learn by continuing my aromatherapy studies. I do this to provide my clients with the most safe and beneficial aromatherapy experience.
To learn more about the Aromatherapy Registration Council please visit the website at: http://aromatherapycouncil.org/
✿´´¯`•.¸¸ Haly JensenHof, MA, RA ¸¸.•´¯`´✿
Fragrantly helping you achieve health and well being!
For more information, or if you have questions, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I welcome any questions, comments or suggestions.
You can also find me on Facebook at facebook.com/yourhealthscents